Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Monday, March 9, 2020

It's not Cooking. It is Barbeque!

Maybe. Just "maybe" I have gone overboard when I went into "BBQ King" just before Christmas and spent the equivalent of Andorra's GDP on a new grill. But then again, if you to something, you do it right? Right? That's what they say. In the meantime, I have been back to the store to add more items that make the grilling and chilling even more exciting and easy. Do note that this is a grill for 2 persons! My neighbours also get to participate as we don't have a garden and I grill on our 1.20 x 1.00 meter balcony (after moving the washing mashine aside).

I must say, I have no idea how I have lived for so long without the "Chimney Firestarter". This must be the best invention ever around the grill. Just a piece of paper underneath the coal and you have proper embers in a jiffy. No more nonsense with hairdryers blowing onto the coal or fanning the fire with a paperplate till you have a shoulder like Arnold. 

In my view, operating a BBQ is not cooking. Cooking means you can adjust and time things. When you put food on a grill, you need to know what you are doing and when you need to do it. Tough to adjust the temperature. Experience will tell you when to add coal before there is not enough heat under the food etc.

And maybe it is the excuse of me having a few beers while I "monitor the grill" when making ribs, which takes 2 - 3 hours.  

No comments: