Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Recreating Travel Experiences

A number of people have re-created travel experiences in the past few weeks. One guy took a video sitting next to his washing machine as if he was a window seat in a plane. Complete with a tray, his bento box food and a laptop to work.

I admire such creativity. And I thought it was funny. Very much so, given the overall situation.

But I couldn't help it but to think: this is someone that does not travel very often. I absolutely enjoy being in a new place. Finding my way, experiencing what is going on. Talking to local people and all that. What I don't like is the "getting there".

Looking at a map, it may seem that Hokkaido is not that far away. OK, we could have opted for a direct flight on Air Asia, but then we wouldn't have had great food, entertainment and free flow Sapporro beers (All worth the transit in Tokyo). Although from here to there doesn't look that far, we still had to get up at 3:00 and we finally settled for dinner at 20:30 (19:30 Home time). A long day.

Here I am now, locked away for week 5. What I absolutely don't miss is the flying around with all the stuff that comes with it: delayed flights, airline food, window seats in economy class, lining up at immigration and having to lug around stuff....

But I like these videos...

No comments: