Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Ramsay's First Malaysian Restaurant on Trajectory to Failure?

 

Image Source: The Star

I have not had the opportunity to experience the food and service in any of Gordon Ramsay's outlets yet. Once I stood in front of one (In Dubai, during a media trip; we were eating opposite). From many YouTube videos I gather that the food and delivery must be something else. Hence, I was quiet excited when the opening of his first restaurant in Malaysia was announced in January this year. Quick on the keyboard, an email was sent out to make a reservation. We have a birthday in the family at the end of July and that would have been a great occasion for a try. Now, given the times we are in, and in general, planning six months ahead is tricky. A disclaimer that I have no problem accepting.

Getting a little anxious now, what with the ever changing and confusing SOPs around Covid-19, I thought it a good idea to check on how we are to go about the dinner we planned. A probe was sent into the restaurant to check if we could at all, and how to dine in. Thanks to low internet usage at 6:00 I got an automatic reply back in nanoseconds: all reservations are on hold. Which kind of not lets me know much. "on hold" as in if possible you can come? Or on hold as in we got you, but need to reschedule.

Here is the thing: I feel being let down. The current SOPs have been in place for some time. My details, the reservation, has been in their system for 6 months. Upon the government not allowing dine-in, could a restaurant be pro-active and send out a note that one may need to be prepared that the promised reservation could not be fulfilled? I would think that this is certainly possible. And I would understand. It is what it is. Would not be the first birthday that we had to re-rig in the past 15 months.

How do I feel about the lack of pro-active customer engagement? As I said. A let-down. I expected impeccable service from this particular brand, that prides itself in outstanding service. I expected that one would be informed, pro-actively in advance by the people working in the restaurant. While I am sure that it doesn't matter for what occasion, I stated that it is to be a birthday bash. Knowing that I cannot dine-in, I can now plan something else. Circumstances and the times we live in: no big deal.

However, we are talking about a place asking RM 150 (or EUR 30) for a Burger. I have no issue paying that by the way, if the product is worth it... And I would tell others to try too if I am convinced. Right now, I don't feel like going anymore, based on the experience so far. We are not talking about Ah Huat's Amazing Seafood in some industrial area catering to the nearby timber traders needing a quick bite for lunch...

I have yet to receive an personal message from the place after 2 days. Restaurants these days work on weekends, right? Again,... high end. Not food court. Hopefully, this is not the trajectory that the place is going to follow as I seriously hope to be wowed one day. 

1 comment:

david said...

There are many restaurants and often; they get once chance to impress. If they don't, you go elsewhere. This is hardly a good start to what is supposed to be a special dining experience. With restaurants closed you would have thought they had all the time in the world to personally deal with those who had shown faith in the establishment by making a reservation well in advance. I am impressed that you chose not to use any profanities that appear to be all the Gordon Ramsey does well.