Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Rear Window

 


Certainly not as dramatic as in the Hitchcock movie, but still some story to this. It the view from my home office, where I am being seated most of the time of every day these days. What is there to see? Laundry mostly. Some plants we try to grow and white outer walls of other units in the block.

I don't know my neighbors. I could see some of them if I stepped out there and see them toiling away with their laundry, food preparation or whatever other chores they are busy with. We look at each other in the morning, maybe, but we never speak. 

Sounds are abundant though. There is the clanking of a wok being worked over, crying kids (one kid seems to be in for a world record) and conversations in tongues I do not speak make for a constant wafting of noises. 

When I sit here at 5:30 am, there is already some noise starting. It is not the chirping of birds, but people getting up or even revving up to go to work. Over time, I feel that there are patterns. For instance one resident seems to be playing music on Friday evenings only. Must be getting into the mood. 

The original "Rear Window" is an all time favorite of mine. Having seen it at a young age, the intrigue has always been something that fascinated me. Today, I wonder what happens in all these homes that I can hear, but not see much of. Except for the non-stop screaming kid, everyone seems to be happy with nobody shouting at family members or even trashing places up. Which is amazing, considering that some might have developed cabin fever after all these months at home.

No comments: