Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Minimizing Contacts - Or Why "The Numbers are not Coming Down?"

 


This is my home bank. It does not matter which bank this is, as friends tell me that the same scene can be observed at other banks as well. Let's just assume that this this what "Banking" looks like these days.

People line up as there are only 5 customers allowed inside the banking hall at a time. This is, obviously, to reduce the risk of getting infected with Covid-19. Interesting thinking here.

Typically, nowadays I would need to spend 60 minutes outside, waiting to be ushered in. My transactions are usually done within 5 minutes. 

I ask: how is this going to reduce contact. Everyone going to the bank is exposed for an hour, standing around. And not only in "contact" with people that go to the banking hall, but also with people that don't even go to the bank. There is a very busy courier service and the bank line-up extends past the entrance to it. One could get infected by someone going to post something (or someone posting by a bank client).   Or just someone passing by spreads the virus (Not intentionally, of course). 

One of the bank staff will come out periodically to manage the process. Could that person not drag in the virus? More movement outside. More chances to get infected. 

Maybe I am not seeing it, but how is this scenario helping me to minimise contact? I would argue that this is much worse. Besides,... Once you have stood in the heat for an hour and you get blasted by 16 degree air con, chances are you catch a cold too while you are at it. 

Why Not?
So, here are some radical ideas. To start with, why not get an industrial strength air-filter and move these people inside again. Like we used to. For instance, the "Blue.care" from Hengst has been successfully deployed in hotels and buses, zapping viruses including C-19. So, now we have an additional line of defense inside the banking hall. Also, we have eliminated possibilities of non-banking folks outside getting in contact with our savings accounts. 

Next up: I hear that Digitalisation is a hot thing right now. My bet is that there are plenty of solutions already in the market that can address certain issues. For example.... (Sigh, I know!): try calling my bank. It is rather difficult to get through. The simple question "Do you have a savings account for my sister in law's kids, where I can put in money every month?" needs to be handled in a visit to the bank. Why? Never mind that I have to get the car, put on some half way decent clothes... You get the idea. 

On that note, I would say that certain things SHOULD be handled in the branch. Not everything needs to or has to be digitised. 

Lastly, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE OPPORTUNITY! Remember, the idea is to reduce contact. One way of doing that is to increase through-put. Aren't there like 1000s of unemployed people around? How hard could it be to re-train airline staff for example? They are already qualified in customer-facing activities and with the duty-free sales I am sure that they would understand basic economics. We had over a year for that. More staff can handle more customers. This is not a case of 9 mothers giving birth to 1 child in 1 month. 

Let me know your thoughts in the comments. 

No comments: