Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Lost on this Generation

 



Then. It was when I was 8 years old that I had my first stereo. I would "tape" songs on my tape recorder. A massive thing with 2 spools. Like a casette. Just the size of a luggage bag. The bands of that time were legends. One would read up on Paul Newcastle's "19" and how he used the song to get to grips with the horrors of the Vietnam war. 

On Sundays, the family would huddle together at dinner and listen to the "Hitparade". They would play the songs of the billboard charts, counting up to the ultimate number 1. My dad would tell me about how the Beatles got the girls all excited and what a loss it was that Lennon got shot.

There was such a high impact of music on culture.

One would spend days planning a trip to the record shop. Some would have a vest with patches sewn onto to indicate where their allegiance was. Today, we have memes based on covers of the Beatles LPs. (Long Playing record ya!)

And there I am. Sitting in a restaurant with the missus. It is called "Abbey Road". It is themed. AND serves amazing food. And I look around, almost tearing up. Cos, there is no way that we will have that again. What that? That awesomeness that people will model an entire establishment after their idols. Their most favorite band. Or bands. 

Today, most live bands play the songs of the 70s, 80s, some 60. NEVER newer stuff. Every dive bar with sticky bars and smelly toilets I have ever been to has Alan Parsons on tap. 

Or can you imagine going to a Dua Lipe Bistro and Beer Cafe? 

No comments: