Search Stefan's Blog for Stuff

Monday, February 19, 2024

Keeping Safe on My Travels

 


Forget travel hacks for a more comfortable flight. I put my mind at ease by following these procedures when travelling:

- Only post photos of the place I have been upon return. Nobody needs to know I am not at home.

- I like a good chat with strangers. However, I am not Stefan. I am Kyle Reese, Frank Stein or Dan Night. 

- Also, I live in Kuala Lumpur. Close enough to the truth, vague enough to be credible and safe to avoid people finding out exactly where I live and where there is an empty home now

- I am also from Hannover, Germany. Close enough to the truth, vague enough to be credible and safe to avoid people finding out exactly where I live and where there is an empty home now.

These 3 as I am paranoid. Today it is easy to find out where someone lives, steal an identity etc. Never disclose exact dates to return home either. 

- Use 2 Wallets. Each contains 1 credit card and 1 means of identification. One of the two wallets stays in the hotel safe until departure

- Only enough cash along for the day.

- Passport stays in the hotel safe. If need to show, it can be arranged. On that note: if it gets stolen, the Ambassy will issue an emergency travel document. No need to stress over this more than needed. The passport is property of the state, not your own. 

- Phone, camera etc into a bag. Out and back in after use. That is a lot of in and out, but I don't advertise my assets

- Don't get too drunk. Ensure to know the rough way home. 

- Don't tell anyone which hotel I am staying. Rough area, yes.

No comments: